I received an email this afternoon from a friend that included a version of the following poem. It brought back memories of Grandma Warfel and how she always had an apron on. I also thought about my first Home Econ project in high school - an apron! I actually liked that apron and used it. I wonder whatever became of it? It was turquoise and white checked material...Too bad I don't enjoy sewing like my Mom, sister, and niece do. Well, we are all given certain gifts and talents. Mine just doesn't happen to be sewing, but I am grateful that I can sew if should choose to. I remember it being fun to go shopping with Mom and Melanie to buy a new pattern for a project...the choices were overwhelming!
I think aprons are a great idea and I would love to have one like Grandma used to wear, especially one of hers. Collecting vintage patterns and aprons could be a fun hobby. The below pattern might have been the one we used in Home Ec!
GRANDMA'S APRON
By Tina Trivett, Aug 26, 2007
The Poetry of Tina Trivett, tinatrivett.blogspot.com
The strings were tied, it was freshly washed, and maybe even pressed.
For Grandma, it was everyday to choose one when she dressed.
The simple apron that it was, you would never think about;
the things she used it for, that made it look worn out.
She may have used it to hold some wildflowers that she'd found.
Or to hide a crying child's face when a stranger came around.
Imagine all the little tears that were wiped with just that cloth.
Or it became a potholder to serve some chicken broth.
She probably carried kindling to stoke the kitchen fire.
To hold a load of laundry, or to wipe the clothesline wire.
When canning all her vegetables, it was used to wipe her brow.
You never know, she might have used it to shoo flies from the cow.
She might have carried eggs in from the chicken coop outside.
Whatever chore she used it for, she did them all with pride.
When Grandma went to heaven, God said she now could rest.
I'm sure the apron that she chose, was her Sunday best.
I think Grandma is wearing an apron here. I would be very surprised if she wasn't! Another good use for an apron is to keep baby's spit up off your dress! She is holding Andy on his first outing. He was 2 weeks old so this was taken in Grandma's house on 7th Street in July 1982. For the memories-ah!


No comments:
Post a Comment